Saturday, November 28, 2009
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Monday, September 14, 2009
Saturday, September 5, 2009
Thursday, September 3, 2009
Monday, August 31, 2009
Saturday, August 29, 2009
- Yesterday, Friday August 28, was my first day of school; I fit right in with only about 8 seconds of crying when mommy and daddy left.
- I have started saying words of more than one syllable, repeating things mommy and daddy say, like "average" or "dojo." I've had a few words like this in the past ("popsicle," "vegetable," and "cockroach") but not very many. Words are getting a lot easier now.
- When daddy points at numerals I can say the names of "1", "2", "3", "4", "6", "7", "8", "9", and "0". I still haven't figured out "5" yet, but give me another day. I'll have it down in no time!
- Today I played Lego with daddy for an hour and a half straight, while mommy was selling scones at the Studioplex market. I love Lego!
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Big day today.
This morning I went to my first funeral. A friend of my daddy lost his brother in a car accident a few days ago. I was feeling quite happy and excited all morning, on the drive, and walking into the funeral home, but as soon as I saw everyone in the reception room, I got very quiet, put my head on daddy's shoulder, and didn't move or say a word for about 10 minutes while daddy talked to his friend. I felt that a lot of people were sad.
Before we left, daddy and I stopped to look at some signs and pictures that the six-year-old daughter of the guy that died had put together. I pointed to several hearts that had been glued on the board and said "heart" over and over. Daddy hugged me.
This evening, mommy and daddy and I walked (OK, I was in the stroller) down to Oakhurst to watch a guy daddy knows (he was introduced to me as Garrett) play guitar and sing. Mommy and daddy ordered beers, and I sat in my high chair and looked around the room at everything. An accordion, the guy's guitar, the coasters.
Then I got thirsty. So I pulled on daddy's arm. When he leaned down to listen to me, I said "juice! bubbies!" (That means "bubbles", which is bubble water.) So daddy got up and got me a plastic cup of cranberry juice and soda water from the guy working the bar. I had never had cranberry juice before, but after the first sip which made me pucker up a little, I drank the rest of it no problem. Daddy thinks I'm a big boy now for going to a bar, hanging out, and ordering my own drink!
When Garrett started singing, I listened to everything he sang, and I even started singing along with him. And when he said he had written one of the songs about his daughter before she was born, I turned to mommy and daddy and said "baby!" "That's right!" they told me; "this song is about a baby!"
Today it was a funeral and a bar, ordering drinks and singing. What else is out there for me to learn about?
Sunday, August 23, 2009
Monday, July 27, 2009
- went to the swimming pool with my cousins.
- used my new favorite words: "Back" and "Front"
- drew with chalk and erased with the eraser on my new easel
- watched "Elmo's Song" for the twentieth time and smiled and clapped my hand like I do every time
- got a time out (A-G-A-I-N) for throwing my food on the floor when I was done eating. When I'm done, I'm done; get this food away from me!!
- took a loooooooooooong nap - close to four hours again
Saturday, July 25, 2009
My teeth are clean and bright. Daddy brushes them every day, even when my gums hurt so much it makes me cry and drool. How does he get me to cooperate? He sings me silly little songs that I think he just makes up on the spot. They're very entertaining, and they make me laugh. It's very difficult to keep crying and resist his brushing when I am laughing so hard! And, I like that, when he finishes brushing my teeth, he tells me he's very proud of me and he kisses me all over my face. :)
Thursday, July 23, 2009
Also I sat on the bed with daddy and he held the back of one of his hands with his other hand. He lifted his wrists and bent the hand he was holding in what he called a "stretch". So I tried it too. He did a lot of different stretches, but I only figured out the first one. He said this was "aikido." I have known the word "do-jo" for a long time, so now I'm starting to learn what he does there at his dojo.
Oh, and I learned a new word yesterday: "yawn." You say it, and I can do it!
PS, Today I sat on the couch and ate ice cream with my dad. I've never done that before! It was delicious, and made me say "more, more, more" (with my hand signals) over and over. To top it all off, we watched Bert and Ernie videos too!
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Yesterday I learned to ask for "Bobby" when dad is watching videos. He says this is the name of the man who sings and taps on his chest and sounds like he's playing lots of instruments at one time, all with just his voice. Sometimes he calls this man "Bobby McFerrin", but I can't say that big a word yet.
I have started spending a couple minutes each day in my time out corner. Sometimes it's for hitting mommy or daddy in the face when I'm frustrated and want their attention, and somtimes it's for throwing food when I've had enough and don't want any more. They tell me I have got to learn to communicate more gently, but they don't know what it's like to be me. I get so exasperated!
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Saturday, July 11, 2009
Friday, July 10, 2009
- played LEGOs with my dad
- ate Indian food (aloogobi, tarka dahl, naan bread, mixed veggie currie, veggie samosas ... I loved it all!)
- said "Joel" and "Maria" (I've been saying "da-da" and "ma-ma" for a long time now)
- helped carry groceries from the van to the house (I carried the huge bag of corn chips; I love 'em!)
- started saying multiple words at one go, like "Wa-wa eye" tonight in my bath when water got in my eyes. Did you know that you can put multiple words together and say much more interesting things than a single word at a time will allow? I like where this is going!
Saturday, June 27, 2009
Saturday, June 20, 2009
Friday, June 19, 2009
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Monday, June 8, 2009
- hung out with and played with my yeh-yeh (granddaddy Leroy from Santa Barbara); he flew home today, which made me sad
- learned how to shake hands with my dad
- picked a scab off my knee for the first time - OW!
- figured out how to turn on and turn off the air conditioner in my room
- got my own set of power tools to work with
- learned how to say and use the words 'wall' and 'walk'; did you know they sound similar but they mean totally different things?
Saturday, May 30, 2009
And twice while running in the gravel street I did something he calls a face-plant, falling forward and landing hard on my knees and elbows and forearms. Each time he raced over to me and asked if I was OK, and each time I got up, rubbed my knees, and said "Dah!" (That how I pronounce "yes"; it just sounds right to me.) "Good fall," he told me. I like it a lot when my daddy is proud of me!
Friday, May 29, 2009
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Monday, May 25, 2009
Yesterday my dad taught me how to play 'Airplane', where he lies on his back on the bed, lifts me up by my rib cage, and flies me around making plane sounds.
The day before that, dad trained aikido with me for the first time. I learned the five hand stretches, and he did 'sumi otoshi' to me about 15 times. I loved it! "More, daddy, more!!!"
Friday, February 6, 2009
(By the way, I really like their iPhones. Sadly, they won't let me play with either of them at the moment. Sometimes I get to look at pictures with them, pictures mostly of me, which is cool. I think there's a lot more stuff going on on those phones, but I don't yet know what.)